When the orthodontic model is scanned using the general method, there are bound to be many empty holes in the interproximal areas. The Interproximal Area Scan feature allows you to scan the orthodontic model in 2 steps to prevent holes in the data. Scan the buccal side first by placing the model vertically and then the lingual side by tilting up the model at 45 degrees.
1. Select Project type > Orthodontic and the arch to scan. In this case, we will be scanning the maxilla so choose the maxilla and click Save & Scan.
2. Turn on Interproximal Area Scan(2 Steps) in Scan strategy setting. This option will guide you to perform the scanning of the interproximal areas in 2 steps: firstly, to scan the lingual side, and secondly, to scan the buccal side.
3. The first step is to scan the lingual side of the model. Place the model and tilt the lingual side at 45 degrees by elevating the lingual side using Blue Tack. In this way, the scanner cameras will be able to see and capture the lingual area more easily.
4. Insert the flexible multi-die into the scanner and click Next to set the scan depth. Click and drag the blue arrow to set the scan depth. You can check the scan depth from various view angles by using the Model view buttons. Click Confirm to begin scanning.
5. The scanning of the lingual side is complete. Rotate the scan data to check if it requires additional scanning. You can Add Scans for areas which require more scan data. Click Next to move to the next step.
6. Now, move to the second step. Place the model as shown in the picture below. Placing the model in an upright position allows the scanner to capture data from the buccal side. Place the flexible multi-die into the scanner and click Next to begin scanning.
7. The second step of the scanning is complete. Click Next to align the scan data.
8. We will be aligning the scan data between the lingual side and the buccal side by using the 1 point alignment method.
- Mark one alignment point each on both data respectively. Click Next to complete the alignment.
9. The alignment process is complete. Check the scan data to ensure that the alignment was successful. You can edit the data by using the editing tools to remove unnecessary data, as required. Click Next to begin merging the data.
10. Check the merged data. Click the Exit button to save the data and exit the program.